4.15.2014

The Next Big Thing

What's the old saying?

The only thing that stays the same is everything changes?

Yea, that one.  Well, we like to keep that as true as possible.

We survived Gabe's surgery.  It was rough, harder than we expected, but we all made it though.  So now we are on to the next big thing.

Which I won't beat around the bush about.

We are moving.


Well, hoping to.  First we have to sell our house and secure employment in another state.  And those two things involve a whole lot of little things so we may not be actually going anywhere for quite some time.

But sometimes the stars align and things move fast, so I'm spilling the beans now instead of a "Surprise, we moved!" kind of post.


This has been a mixture of a long time coming and sudden decision.  I know those two things don't belong in the same sentence, but it's pretty much the only way I have to describe the past two weeks.

Of course, none of my family live here so it has been a long standing dream for me to move from Georgia to somewhere closer to family.  I moved here from Minnesota 14 years ago in what was meant to be a Summer oasis from the peers of my Junior year.  I was mixed into some heavy drugs and the not so great activities that go along with that life.  So my parents decided it would do me some good to come stay with my Dad for a Summer.

Turns out I loved it here.  Got clean, met Andrew, and, well, the rest is history.


It's been a great 14 years.

I mean, just look at this life I get to live!  17 year old me had no idea the wonders and magic that were waiting for me.  Georgia has been beyond good to me.

Andrew grew up 200 yards from where I currently sit.

This town, this land.  It's his literal old stomping grounds.  His desire to move is more of the Let's See What's Out There variety.


In the past, we have gone back and forth about moving.

The intense desire in us was usually snuffed out by the fact that we have this gorgeous house on all this land.  We have friends that are literally irreplaceable.  The Divorced Child Syndrome in me feels extreme guilt over leaving family behind.

But there are a lot of health issues going on in my family lately and Gabe's surgery was the one that hit it home.  If we want to do this, try living some place else, there's no time like right now.

So about a week ago, we started packing up our house.

Right now it's mostly cleaning out closets and clutter and putting all our pictures in boxes.  The plan is to list it this week and just see what happens.  The kids and I will be out of town for a couple of weeks so we are hoping to get some showings while we are away.  We are prepared for this to be a long, drawn out process while holding on to a little bit of hope that it may go smooth and quick.


We aren't entirely sure where we will land once we leave here.

The current plan is out West.  We have been putting a lot of thought into it and employment and schooling options are the most promising out there.  No matter where we end up, I still have travel perks from my Mom's job so I will be able to visit the family and in the other areas of the country the same as I do now only in reverse.

We feel really good about this move.

I mean, it's scary and sad and not everyone is happy with our decision.  But it feels like an adventure and the timing feels right.

So that's our news.  And when you notice my house looking rather void of the usual abundance of pictures of my kids, you'll know why.

Here's to a new adventure!

6 comments:

Carrie Corrigan said...

How exciting!!! Wishing you all the best!

kimmer said...

Home is where the heart is!!! I love you and support you and Andrew always...just take it one step at a time and think things through...like I know you are!

Unknown said...

How exciting for you guys!! Making a move is hard, but you won't regret it for a single minute. I wish you all the best of luck in the following days while you wait for the good news!! Meanwhile ENJOY YOUR VACATION! You earned it :)

Danielle said...

That is so cool :) I get wonderlust at least once a week but for now staying is our best option. I never thought I would be where I am for this long. New adventures are great!

Kaia said...

I hear the Columbia River Gorge is a great place :D if you're meaning all the way west.

Michele said...

Praying for you as you get ready to embark on a new journey!