10.04.2007

Josie Kathryn Pope

I am still in complete shock, but I want to document this for Josie.
On Tuesday, October 3rd, 2007, Andrew and I were going about our days as usual. I was at work and Andrew was at the house. He was supposed to have a meeting, but it was canceled so he just went to the house.
At about 3:15, I went downstairs to get some papers. When I got back to my desk I noticed that I had 2 missed calls. One was from T, our caseworker. I figured that she needed some info about our references since that was what she was waiting for so she could write our home study on Friday.  So I called her back. She didn't answer so I left a message.
The other missed call was Andrew. So I called him back.
He told me that he needed me to go ahead and leave work to come home because T was bringing us a baby.
What?!? Are you serious? What do you mean? Now?!?
T had called him when she couldn't get a hold of me. She had an emergency placement that she knew was perfect for us.
A little girl, 7 months old, perfectly healthy. 
She was going to bring her over right then, but when she heard how nervous Andrew was to be by himself with a new little person, she said she would try to kill some time until I got home.
So I ran down to my friend's office, I had to tell someone. Then I sent my boss and email telling him I had to leave and jumped in my car.
When I got to my car I started to think, did I hear him right?  Did he say to come home now?  So I called him just to be sure my mind wasn't tricking me!
He gave me more details that I had been too excited to ask about; She was abandoned at the hospital when she was born so there was no birth family involved in her case. Since then she had been living in the same foster family. For some reason, DFCS closed that foster home and immediately removed all children from the home. T said that as soon as Josie's case worker called her with the situation, she knew that God meant her for us!
I am pretty sure that every slow person in Georgia was in front of me on the way home. 
I called everyone in my phone. My mom wouldn't pick up, I must have called 5 times in a row before she answered!
I finally got home at about 4:15. The anticipation was killing Andrew and I. Andrew paced by the window while we waited.
I, being a girl, went to the baby's closet and tried to figure out what my little girl was going to wear!
Then, at almost exactly 5:30, our daughter, the light of our world, the answer to our prayers, the most beautiful little girl, pulled into our driveway.
It was love at first sight.
She is the picture of perfection.
Made for our family.
The perfect fit.
She came with nothing. 
No clothes, no diapers, no food, no schedule, no toys.
So after Andrew's mom and brother got to our house to meet the little ladybug, we all piled in the car for Josie's first trip to Walmart!
It was a little overwhelming. 
I wasn't sure what a 7 month old needs.
Our good friends Jason and Tiffany meet us there with their little boy. And then Pastor Charla came to meet her too! I'm sure we looked crazy, all 8 of us grabbing things like maniacs!
But it turned out that all Josie needed was us. 
A family. Permanency. Security. Love.
And it just so happens, we have all those things already.
October 2nd was the TPR (termination of parental rights) hearing.
There is no birth family so of course it was uncontested. We now have to wait 45 days to see if any other birth family comes forward. It is 99.99% unlikely that they will, since they probably don't even know she exists.
The foster family also has 10 days to appeal DFCS decision to remove her from their home. This is unlikely to be successful, but we are still asking for lots of prayers.
She has to be in our home for 6 months before we can finalize the adoption.
But as far as we are concerned, she is already a Pope.
I am so in love with this little girl. She has Andrew wrapped around her finger, as it should be.

I wish there was a way to put this feeling into words. 
It just feels right.
Touched by God.
Like she was prepared for our family.
It feels like my heart is as full as it could be.
It feels like she is my daughter.
It's amazing to me, how God can answer years of prayers, dry years of tears, mend up years of heartbreak, all with one little girl's smile.
Welcome to the family Josie Kathryn Pope. 
We have been waiting for you.

19 comments:

Cunz Family said...

I'm so happy for you! That is great news and she is the cutest thing EVER! Congrats!

Amber said...

Your post made me cry. We're so happy for you guys. You've waited so long for this moment. You two are going to be great parents to Josie. Ya'll make a cute family. She is a doll! Can't wait to meet her! Congrats!

bri said...

I just found your blog from Adrienne's blog. I too am a foster/adopt mother and have been fostering our little boy for 13 months now and are just now getting able to adopt him. We are so elated that we can hardly breathe. We have had two others that have come and gone and broke my heart but I know there are more to come.

Your story brought me to tears just remembering the same things of how it felt to get that call and to see them pull into the driveway and go shopping for the first time WITH YOUR BABY! All so surreal in the moment!

Congratulations and many blessings on this wonderful dream come true. I think I am going to be a follower of your story because you are a mother like me and it is amazing and uplifting to see another family share in the same love through adoption/foster care.

Kim said...

What a beautiful story!! God is so amazing. Isn't it wonderful how He works? It's so hard to understand when things don't go as we want it, but God knew all along what he was doing - and it was far greater than we could ever imagine. =)

Katie said...

This is a unbelievable story, wow!!! I am so happy the process went smoothly and quickly for you. I am sure those first few days and weeks were crazy during the adjustment but now could you imagine life any other way?

Thank you for being our guest post on ABC & 123, my other blog, today:) As an adult adoptee I always enjoy hearing other family's stories.

Jenny said...

Wow! Made me cry! Beautiful story! Came here from ABC & 123. Thank you for opening your hearts to children who need a family to love.

Unknown said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and read your story of adopting your precious little girl! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! God is so good! He has laid adoption on our hearts and we are just praying about the possibility. So great to read your story. Many blessings to you!

Bethany @ Our 4 Sons Plus 1...Super Cute Girly Girl said...

Wow, that is an amazing, crazy-exciting adoption story! Your daughter is beautiful! Hope everything works out just as smoothly for your cute little boy, too. :)

Object of Maya*ffection said...

What a GREAT story....I have a girlfriend going thru the adoption process and it's heartbreaking watching them wait for a baby. Your children are BEAUTIFUL!

Flaky said...

This just crushed my heart happy, such a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. She's gorgeous.

Sarah said...

An incredible story of God's perfect timing! I could feel your excitement in your words (maybe because I have been there too!) Thanks for sharing!

grace said...

I'M new here...but enjoyed reading your story. Hoping/praying for a little girl of our own to adopt one day. I was a little shocked to see how much she even looks like she's your & your husbands child. It's amazing. Praise God. Blessings...

Little for a Little While said...

Oh my goodness, this story is ridiculously amazing! I have goose bumps. Looks like I just found myself a date with your blog this Friday evening :)

Kim N. said...

What an amazing story!! BEAUTIFUL family. Found you on a homeschool blog hop and I can't leave your site. Off to read more!

Natalie said...

A beautiful story. A beautiful family. A beautiful little girl! Our daughter is adopted too, so your story struck a tender chord with me :)

Terri said...

I found your blog through Embrace the Camera and then I read this post. Wow oh wow. What a story and what a family. Amazing!

Darcy said...

This is so very precious. Love!

Michelle Gibson said...

♥ Beautiful story!♥