10.12.2011

pumpkin week

My original plan was to only have one theme a month.

But the lure of pumpkins and scarecrows and halloween and candy are all just to much for me.

I couldn't resist.

So for the next few months (November and December are just as loaded with themes!) we will be doing a weekly theme.

I'm pretty sure it's a law somewhere that Pumpkins have to be in every elementary teachers theme book.

So we started there.

It was a huge hit and got me very much in the mood for all things Fall.

Even if it is back up in the high 80's here.

The biggest hit of the week was our Pumpkin Investigation Sheet.



I'm not sure what it was, but Josie ate this thing up. 

She took it so seriously!


I had bought 2 pumpkins, a large one to carve and a smaller one that we are doing a few different projects with.  We used the smaller one for our investigations.


We made a Pumpkin Mosaic.


Of course, we carved pumpkins.

I sliced the top of my pinkie off and almost passed out and my kids were covered in pumpkin guts from head to toe.

Next year, Daddy will be in charge of pumpkin carving!

But we did end up with 2 cute pumpkins, Bob and Larry, and one very happy Josie so I guess it was worth losing part of a finger for.


Bob has had a grand time being lit and oohed and ahhed over every night.

Larry's future isn't quite so bright.

He is our science project.

We put him in a big plastic bin with some dirt and are going to watch him decompose!



We had a special Pumpkin Pancake Breakfast.


And did one more pumpkin art project.


My planning ended up being a couple weeks off and we won't be headed to the actual pumpkin patch for a couple weeks.

By then, Bob and Larry will probably be kapooied so it'll be time for another round of pumpkins!

4 comments:

JK said...

Such a cool idea! I love your ideas!! Your kids are adorable!

Mama to 5 said...

cute lesson, feel free to link it up at learn and share http://mamato3blessings.blogspot.com/2012/10/learn-link-easy-bird-craft.html

MamaDuck76 said...

I love your pumpkin patch art project. What a cute idea!

tina at september said...

I love this! we make lil' pumpkin pancakes here too :) so fun! have yet to carve the pumpkins and do our observation sheets, maybe today! thanks for sharing, really lovely post!