7.13.2009

5 A Day

Andrew and I are firm believers in Healing.
I can count on one hand the times we have gotten any kind of sickness in the past five years. We don't push this belief on anyone, we just simply do not allow sickness into our lives.
While I attribute the majority of our health to the fact that we broke that stronghold off awhile back, I also give credit to the foods we eat.

We are far from perfect in eating healthy.
We've been known to eat more then our share of desserts and Andrew working at Waffle House has increased our cholesterol by a few points.
This just makes me more determined to make good choices when I can.

I've learned that the best way to stay feeling great is to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible. We try to eat a fruit and a veggie with every meal, including breakfast.
I add spinach to pancakes, carrots to our eggs. I can hardly tell the difference in the taste and Josie is so used to it she doesn't blink at the green specks.
But the easiest way I've found to get a good dose of whole veggies in first thing in the morning is a good smoothie.
Josie gets so excited when I pull out the blender. It's her job to push the button.
I used to just use fruit in our smoothies but then I read on The Dirty Work that adding spinach gives a big nutritional boost without affecting the flavor.
Once I tried it and verified that it did taste exactly the same, I decided to get more adventurous and try other veggies.
I've used everything from spinach to green beans to cherry tomatoes, but this has been our staple for the past year:1 Banana
1 Handful of Blueberries
1 Handful of Raspberries
1 Handful Frozen Strawberries
2 Handfuls of Spinach (more or less to taste)
1 Large Carrot
1 Cup Yogurt
2 Tbsp Flax Seed Oil
1 Cup OJEven my biggest nutritional critic, Amy, can't taste the veggies!

Having these in the morning makes me feel so great and then I don't feel so bad about having some good ole' hashbrowns up at the Waffle!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

We have seriously been looking for a morning smoothie recipe. And today I pull up your blog and there it is. Can't wait to try it. YUMMY! What other things do you do for healing?

Danielle said...

Ok...I want more info on this Healing, non sick, healthy eating. Will you email me? danleecopeland@gmail.com :)