11.06.2007

A few more additions

Well, temporarily at least! Andrew and I will probably be adding three more bodies to our house tonight or tomorrow night. Three little boys, ages 4, 3, and 14 months. The situation is pretty amazing. Andrew's aunt and uncle, who have 3 little girls who were adopted through Spalding County DFCS, heard about these 3 little boys and have decided that they would be the perfect addition to their family! The only problem is that after the adoption of their 3rd little girl, they closed their home (meaning they were no longer open for foster care or foster to adopt placements). That was 4 years ago. So now they have to get their fingerprints redone and have their case worker come out and reopen their status. That can take from 4-6 weeks. However, the little boys don't have 4-6 weeks to wait.
So their caseworker, who is also our caseworker, suggested that they give us a call to see if we would be willing to help. The second Andrew's aunt asked me if there was any way we could help, my mind was made up. I know that if we were in the same spot as them, if there had been some sort of road block to get Josie, they would have jumped through any hoops to get her to us. And we will do the same for them.
It's a totally different feeling then with Josie. We know that these little boys will only be with us for a month or so. I know we'll fall in love, but we know they are going into a home that is so overflowing with love, that they will always be provided for, and that makes it OK. It feels amazing to be used by God to create a family. I wish everyone could feel this way.
They are currently in a foster home, but it is not a safe place for them anymore. It breaks my heart to think that a child can be taken out of the only home they know and then be placed in a home that is just as bad. What kind of justice is that? But this whole situation has opened my eyes to the calling God has on Andrew and my life. James 1:27 says that, "true religion is this, to care for orphans and widows in their time of need and not become corrupt by this world." I want to live up to this expectation that God has on us. I want to show all of these children what it feels like to be loved unconditionally. I know that it will be hard, and tiring, and hard!, but God will give us strength and endurance. And it will be worth it if it gives these boys a chance at life. A chance that they don't even know that they have. I have been searching for what God wants me to do. For a ministry that I can put my whole heart into, and this is it. It's clear as day and I have never felt more complete or confident in any decision. I want to get the word out. I want people to know that it isn't as scary as it sounds. I want people to understand the urgent need. I want all these kids to be safe and be allowed to just be kids. I want to have a True Religion.

0 comments: