8.29.2013

She's So Big

My sweet Josie Kat went to school yesterday.


I figured the tugging of heartstrings and misty eyes at drop off were reserved for moms dropping off their kindergarteners.  Turns out it doesn't matter how old your baby is, leaving them at school, even if it's just for a few hours, feels like the first step towards them moving out forever.

Dramatic?

Maybe, but I swear her chubby cheeks just pulled into our driveway yesterday and now she's going to school without me and making memories without me and y'all, that deserves a little bit of drama.


I can't even remember how I learned about the Inman Homeschool Hybrid Program, but it is such an amazing answer to my prayers.  Josie gets to spend a few hours every Wednesday with a group of kids around her age learning language arts, art, writing, social development, and agriculture.  So she gets a bit of a "school" feel while still spending most of her school time at home.  Her class is called Farm Fusion and if she was more excited about the agriculture part, I'd go ahead and buy her a farm.

Tuesday night, the nerves set in.  So we made a pinkie promise that I would stay until she was ready for me to leave.  She said that she probably needed me to stay the whole time the first day.  I told her I'd stay as long as she wanted me to, knowing in my heart that my brave girl would find her courage pretty fast the next day.

It took her about 15 minutes to warm up.  Then she looked over her shoulder and gave me a smile and a nod, letting me know she was ready.


I looked back over my shoulder before heading out the door and couldn't even believe how someone so small could do something so big.  Her little feet didn't even reach the floor, yet there she went.  Making new memories, being her own person.



She came home from her first day full of stories and rambled the whole way home about how much fun she had.  And then she fell sound asleep in the middle of the floor, reminding me that she has at least a few years before she moves out.

I'm glad we waited until this year to try any outside the house schooling.  The timing of this, along with the class size and who her teacher is, just feels right.  As I read Ms. Holly's review on what they covered that day, my heart was so excited for Josie.  I can't wait to watch her blossom in this group.  It's going to be a great year.

Josie's teacher is one of the coolest people I've ever met.  She will be posting every week sharing pictures and what the kids did.  If you (grandparents) want to check it out, here's the link:

Farm Fusion Blog

0 comments: