8.28.2012

perspective

Being a mother can be frustrating.

Everyday I am faced with at least 148,000 chances to lose my cool.

The days all start to roll together.  New day, same messes.  Over and over and over.  

And each potentially ungrateful moment offers me just a split second to choose grace.  

Will I scold or laugh?  Will my eyes roll or will they look for an opportunity to teach?  Is a mess on the floor worth hurting my child's feelings?  Wasn't he just trying to be a big boy?  

They are learning about the World.  How it works, how they operate in it.  Trying to figure out if they will be accepted, if it's safe to try new things.

I can be angry that my perfectly planned out day was disrupted or I can remember that these little people were given to me.  A gift.  And that they are more important then clean laundry and spotless floors.

At the end of the day, it's all in how I look at it.

It's hard, but I'm choosing to be thankful for my days with small children at my feet.  Thankful for the good moments and thankful for the less then perfect moments.  


Thank you Gabriel for dumping out the Play-Doh.  I had been meaning to throw out the dried up containers anyways.


Thank you Andrew, for leaving empty boxes in the freezer.  I needed a good laugh this morning. (he's my biggest kid and Lord do I love the laughs he gives me everyday!)


Ah Sweet Gabriel.  Thank you for spilling your blue milk.  The floors desperately needed to be mopped anyways.

Double thanks for trying to clean it up by yourself.  You're trying so hard to be a helper.

Every moment, every spill, every potentially frustrating act, a chance to remember that life is about a whole lot more then wiping, scrubbing, scolding.

A chance to show grace, because God knows I need grace shown to me.  



13 comments:

Gina said...

I so needed this today... Thanks :)

Beth said...

I needed this too! Right there with ya:)

Stefenie said...

Great post! Love it!

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Nicole,

I've been trying to teach my oldest this lesson, but I guess I need to learn it myself.

kimmer said...

OH...the joys of having little people in your life! I love your words and they are all so true. We all have a choice... every single word we say is meaningful. I am so proud and delighted that you are so aware of the feelings of your small darlings! And where do you get blue milk, anyway?

The Olive Tree Blog said...

haha well said...

Ashley said...

I loved this post so much. I go through the same thing daily....as soon as I change a diaper, the other one needs one...as soon as I mop the floor, someone spills something. But then I think...you know what? I'm really glad that I can do this for these little guys.

Little for a Little While said...

I love this, and want to read it everyday. xo

Km said...

Sooo beautiful!!!!

Amber said...

Loved this!!! Livi is soooo into helping with everything now and I seriously have to stop myself, take a breathe, and accept her help. You know how hard that is with this personality! Thanks for the reminder!

Nancy @ Ordinary Miracles & The Crazy 10 said...

OH Amen SISTA! It's always a matter of perspective isn't it?!
Amen! (she says as her 2-year-old rubs spit on her arm. ick. I needed a moistureizer anyway?)
nancy-of the crazy 9s

Lisa said...

Such a great post? I can totally relate, and I am trying to turn my frustrating moments into full of grace and gratitude moments myself. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Such a beautiful outlook. You must be making your children smile often.