6.30.2009

Peach Cobbler Is GOOOOOD!!

If you live in Georgia it is required that you know how to whip together an amazing Peach Cobbler.
And since we are swimming in peaches at the Pope house right now, I thought now was as good a time as any to try my hand at it.

I'm a Northern Girl so I was a little nervous. I know I can handle "bars", but cobbler? Not so sure.


Luckily I had this little Southern Belle to assist me. She's sweet enough to eat all by herself!


Not only have we been picking peaches at the local "U-Pick" fruit farm, but Mr. Terry showed up a couple days ago with a box full of peaches and tomatoes from his garden.
So I whipped out the recipe that Andrew's awesome mom gave me to put a cobbler together for our cookout with the Gowers.
It's a Paula Dean recipe, but don't let that scare you. It was seriously the easiest thing I have ever made.
  • If you're using fresh or frozen peaches follow the next few steps. If you're not into that, just open a big 28 oz can of peaches and skip ahead. (MUST HAVE HEAVY SYRUP!!)
  1. Slice and peel your peaches. You want at least 2 cups.2. Put peaches in a sauce pan and add 1 cup sugar3. And one cup water.4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
    5. Put 1/2 a stick of butter in the dish you are going to bake the cobbler in and stick it in the oven at 350 to until it is melted.6. While the butter is melting, mix 1 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup of self rising flour, and 3/4 cup of milk in a bowl.7. Pull your melted butter out of the oven.8. Slowly pour your flour/sugar/milk mix over the butter. DO NOT STIR!9. Gently spoon your peaches into the dish being careful not to stir it up.10. Then pour that yummy sugar water (or heavy syrup) over the whole mix and sprinkle with cinnamon.11. Stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.


Feel free to do a little cleaning while you wait.

Your kitchen will start to smell like Heaven about 15 minutes into the baking time.
I screwed up and melted a whole stick of butter so we ended up doubling the whole thing and it turned out just as yummy.

Plus now we have left overs! This is so easy and tastes just like something Maw Maw would've served up.

Maybe I'm a little more Southern then I give myself credit for.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hello!

Love the peach cobbler recipe. I must try it!

Thanks for "following" my blog :) Thought I'd stop by and see yours and I'm very glad I did! Your little girl is beautiful!

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Crystal Oh said...

I was born and raised in GA and I don't know how to make it!

Thanks for posting! I will be trying it!!!