We woke up before the sun today to head back to the hospital for post op.
There are only two things I like about getting up that early. First off, there is zero guilt getting the biggest sized latte possible. Second, fuzzy bed heads.
I hadn't really put much time or thought into this morning's appointment.
Before we were discharged, the PA pulled us aside and told us that a pretty decent majority of Fontan kids were readmitted at post op due to a fluid build up in the chest cavity. They rattled off signs to watch for and sent us on our way.
Andrew and I were both a little worried about how Gabe would handle going back to the hospital so soon after our long stay. We made sure to tell him this was just for a check up and that nothing would hurt.
He strutted in there like a boss, didn't even do his usual screaming during the chest X-ray.
bonus: Josie got to watch the X-ray photos
Gabe hasn't shown any of the signs of fluid build up.
He is eating great, as active as usual, no trouble breathing. So I was pretty surprised when they told me the X-ray showed fluid building up. Not good.
The surgeon came in and told us that he really wanted to avoid readmitting us if he could. Which I appreciated since I hadn't packed a single thing and had two kids with pjs still on.
He decided to add in another diuretic and hope that it would go on it's own. We have to go back on Friday for another X-ray.
I'm trying not to worry about it. Hopeful that the medicine will do it's job.
But I won't lie, this one threw me off more than I expected. I was just so sure he was doing well. And being readmitted really doesn't fit into our schedule. We have our reward trip for surviving this coming up in two weeks. We need to not be admitted.
So we are going back to no water for Gabe.
It feels so strange to push Sprite and Gaterade and not let him drink water. If it were Josie, she would love it. Gabe is super mad at us about it.
Anyways, that's how post op went. Prayers appreciated for Friday.
At least the sun has decided to shine for us.