6.26.2013

Summer Vacation

Andrew's on vacation this week.

He normally works over 60 hours a week so we are pretty super excited to have him off.  And for the first time in years, we aren't going anywhere.  Just staying around the house.  We are five days in and it's been nice, but I wouldn't exactly say it's been relaxing.

After planning and planning and planning some more, there is finally movement up at The Farmhouse. The grounds around the house are in pretty bad shape so right now, it's hard manual labor.  Not my favorite.  If you visit us anytime soon, you're likely to see face masks, fires burning, and dumpsters filling up.

We will also most likely hand you a shovel and tell you to hop to it.  We need all hands on deck.




The kids have been way into helping.  

On this particular day, they spent four hours dragging sticks to the burn pile.


It hasn't been all work though.  

We are rediscovering the woods while Andrew's home.  I'm too big of a wuss to truck around on the back 40 acres of our land without Andrew.  And after getting Josie and I all turned around and lost trying to make a solo potty trip, I think it's for the best that I don't.  Seriously, we were 50 yards from the house and I was about to cry, sure I'd have to eat my child to survive.

*we made it back and I did not even nibble on her toes.


She is edible though, isn't she?



We have started harvesting from the garden too!

Last night I walked out and picked a few zucchinis and a handful of cherry tomatoes and 15 minutes later, it was a sautéed side for dinner.  Y'all, that's so cool!  

I say that now, but at the rate we have zucchini and cherry tomatoes coming in, I doubt I'll be as excited about it in a few weeks.




I've been outside so much, I failed to notice this lovely arrangement before I had some friends from church over last week.

Oops.


On top of all that, we took Josie and her friend to 6 Flags today.

So, vacation isn't quite so relaxing as the word usually implies.

But it sure is fun.


2 comments:

kimmer said...

Yes I love looking at your lovely vegetables....But looking at Josie and Gabes adorable smiles is what I LOVE about your blog!!! Live you!

Unknown said...

Ha! Is vacation ever relaxing?