4.05.2009

Jello Eggs!

There is a tradition in the Pope House that MUST be carried out every year at Easter time.
Jello Eggs.
I despise this tradition for many reasons.
Number One, I hate Jello. It grosses me out. Seriously. I've heard it's made of whale bones and it jiggles weird and tastes so nasty. I hate it so much that Andrew wonders if I had a traumatic experience with Jello during my childhood (Mom, did I?)
Number Two, it is so messy to make them. And if you know anything about me, you know that I am not a fan of mess.
And Number Three, they never work for me. No matter how closely I follow the directions or how long I let them sit, they always break in half when I go to open the egg mold. Andrew makes them the same way I do and they always work.
Maybe the Jello knows how much I hate it.
I must really love my husband, because even with all the things I hate about Jello Eggs, I still make them, or attempt to make them, every year.
And since not everyone hates Jello and kids love these things, I thought I'd share them with you.

You'll need either 2 of the big packs or 4 of the little packs of Jello. If you want to get really crafty, you can make a bunch of flavors. It looks awesome on a platter on Easter. Andrew's Aunt does this, but I am lazy and Andrew's lucky to get the two different flavors that he does. Boil up 2 1/2 cups of water and pour it over the yucky Jello.
Then make sure the molds are totally closed tight. I neglected to do that today and had to redo a whole set. And wipe a ton of Jello goo off the counter.
I use a liquid measuring cup to pour the Jello into the mold. It works wonderfully.
If the molds are closed.Fill the molds, which you can get at some grocery stores or order them for way cheap online. and stick them in the fridge for at least 4 hours.Then enjoy.
Or in our case, try not to lose all your pride when your husband tries to open the mold and they all break in half, again.

Oh well, there's always next year.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Don't feel too bad, I hate jello too and for all the same reasons.

Cunz Family said...

Ahh I hate jello too! And espically when there is fruit in it...ICK ICK ICK!