1.25.2010

Little School

Tiffany and I have been talking about starting a Preschool group for a few months now.

Andrew and I are planning on Homeschooling Josie all the way through, but I've been having a hard time getting motivated. I have a couple valid reasons.

First off, she's only 35 months old.

Wait, you don't still count your kids age in months?!?! She'll be three in a few weeks and I'm still in denial so I'm sticking with 35 months.

Part of me subscribes to the school of thought that a child is best taught through play. The kid will only be this creative and full of imagination for so long, and I want her to get as much out of it as possible. Originally we had planned to just look for teaching opportunities in our everyday life rather then actually setting aside time to "do school" until she was 7.

Secondly, I'm kind of intimidated by the thought of teaching her. She seriously learns something almost immediately when I start an activity so I'm not sure how to structure our learning time.

I'm trying desperately not to compare her to other kids.

But since the weather is too cold to play outside all day and since I've been seeing SO many fun preschool activities, I figured now was as good a time as any to start with just a wee bit of school.

Tiffany and I are still working out the details and I'm sure it will be a work in progress for awhile. Right now the plan is to just get the two kids together and to take turns teaching.

We're planning on doing a letter, a number, a Bible Memory Verse, and some sort of craft.

We are going to have Little School every Friday and Josie and I are going to spend a couple hours on Wednesdays doing activities that go with whatever we learned the previous Friday.

So if you have Preschoolers and have any ideas for fun lessons, send them our way! And check back here every week for updates on what we are learning!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like 'unschooling'....you don't formal schdules & programs, you just learn by living...

I am planning on the same. Have you read anything about Charlotte Mason? she was like the founding mother of homeschooling practically...anyway she has a very interesting approach to teaching...she believes when our ones are little, it is more important for them to play and be exposed to good books...they have lots of years ahead for sitting down learning...
~amy